Hey fellow Freedomist!
I’m Natalie Sisson, Chief Adventurer of The Suitcase Entrepreneur. I’m a little obsessed with freedom, and unlike most successful entrepreneurs I meet, I advocate for desiging a business that supports your lifestyle, not takes over it.
One that gives you more time money and freedom. So you can live every day to the full.
Since 2010, I’ve lived out of my suitcase and travelled the world (70 countries and counting!) all while running an online business that allows me massive freedom and a multiple six-figure income.
I prefer to buy experiences over stuff. Living with a minimalist philosophy helps me carry a carefree attitude with no burdens wherever I go, hence why I loved living out of a suitcase for 6 years.
But, I’m evolving and so is my business. And now in 2016 I choose to travel less and stay for longer in places I love, as well as having my Freedom HQ in Wellington, New Zealand where I spend the summer months, and my house in Portugal that I bought in September 2016 where I can spend European summers!
The whole thing about freedom is that you’re FREE TO CHOOSE whatever lifestyle you want. It could mean working from home, more time with your family, more time hiking or sailing or curled up with your favorite book.
I think my 2016 TEDx talk the Surprising Truth About Freedom, sums up all I’ve learned and want to pass on to you about choosing freedom.
Which is why in August 2015, I dropped everything I was doing in Portugal to go home to Wellington, New Zealand to be with my family and my father who became ill.
I can’t tell you how thankful I was to have a freedom-based business that allowed me to do that and spend quality time, especially with my father, before he passed away on December 1st.
Had I still been in a corporate job, I may not have had the leave or the money to be able to do this at all. That’s when it really hit me how important it is to build a business or career that supports your ideal lifestyle, and why EVERYONE deserves the right to freedom.
I’m on a mission to help 1,000,000+ entrepreneurs create true freedom in life by 2020.
My friends call me an adventurer (others use the word ‘nutter’) because I always aim to live life to the fullest. I’m a writer, author, public speaker, blogger and fun-loving, down-to-earth entrepreneur.
I’m ridiculously passionate about building amazing online businesses that you can take anywhere. Online marketing, social media and new tools and technologies are my life! Add to that my absolute love of travel and my addiction to Ultimate Frisbee, and you pretty much have the full picture on me.
How it all started:
For over eight years I worked my a** off in the corporate world in marketing, communications, brand and product management for some major and diverse companies in New Zealand, England and Canada.
But, I got to a point where I just knew there was more to life than living for the weekends and a few short holidays every year. I wanted out and took the leap.
In late 2009, I co-founded a cool tech company and discovered that there wasn’t very many women entrepreneurs and CEOs, especially in technology industries.
I thought it was a no-brainer to set up a platform to connect with and interview the amazing women entrepreneurs that were out there taking risks and building awesome things. I started a blog to capture it all.
I knew deep-down that I had a message to share with the world and that I’d learn many lessons that could inspire others to pursue their own dreams and get them building business and living lives they loved.
Fast forward to December 2010, and I became The Suitcase Entrepreneur! I began my mission to help both men and women who wanted more freedom in business and adventure in life.
How do I run my profitable mobile business?
To tell the truth, my business has been built by a whole lot of determination and strategic hustle!
I work on planes and in cafes. I turn hotel rooms into podcast studios and I do whatever it takes to serve my audience, consistently.
Now, six years into this amazing journey, I have six major revenue streams that have grown organically out of my blog and subsequent brand:
- My foundational program The Freedom Plan I designed to help people create their ideal freedom business.
- Awesome courses like Idea to Income Course for those who want to start an online business but have no idea (or too many ideas to choose from) and Rock Your Systems to help you gain control over your never-ending list of things to do, your many tools and moving parts of your business, and if you have one, your team
- Compensation for recommending products, programs, business tools I adore
- Podcast Sponsorship with awesome companies I am proud to align with
- My No #1 Bestselling Suitcase Entrepreneur book (with more to come)
- Paid speaking gigs around the world!
My Business and Lifestyle Vision
My life changed again in 2013 when I decided to publicly state my vision for my business and life – what I wanted to achieve in the next three years. I did this by making a ‘Painted Picture’ and I shared it on my blog and through Slideshare.
Since then, it’s had over 53,000 views and over 60% of my vision became a reality within the first 12 months!
In January 2015, I created my NEW vision for life and business (43,000+ views) and it’s already coming true along with my grand plans to create the World’s first Global Freedom Study through my new business initiative, Right2Freedom.
I’d love for you to take a look at it below to see my vision for living life, running my businesses, what I offer, how I feel, who I surround myself with, how my team works and more.
How I add adventure to my life:
I’ve grown The Suitcase Entrepreneur into a thriving online community of thousands of men and women and lots of happy readers and customers.
But what I really live for is helping people create a business that lets them truly live their ideal lifestyle and chase all the adventure and freedom they could ever want.
Here are a few highlights of my journey of weaving business and life together:
- 2016 nominated and spoke at TEDx Royal Tunbridge Wells, represented New Zealand Women at the World Ultimate Frisbee Championships in London coming 5th in the world and winning spirit and named one of 50 Must-Follow Women Entrepreneurs in 2017 on Huffington Post
- 2015 started my second business initiative rolling – the Right2Freedom movement which is my next big body of work
- 2014 launched my most definitive online program The Freedom Plan to hundreds of global entrepreneurs and freedom seekers
- 2013 came fourth with GB Women at the European Championships of Beach Ultimate in Spain, published The Suitcase Entrepreneur book to the world and had my Suitcase Entrepreneur Podcast nominated as the Top 10 in Business at the Podcast Awards.
- 2012 In March to May I cycled from Nairobi to Cape Town and over 6,000 km while raising over $12,600 for Women Win in the process. Find out about this journey here!
- 2011: Named one of the 25 Most Influential Women Tweeting about Entrepreneurship, listed in 30 Women Advocates to Follow on Twitter, and named in the Top 10 Entrepreneurship & Innovation Influencers.
- 2010: Named a Successful and Outstanding Blogger by Liz Strauss and SOBCon, selected by Nike as an ‘outstanding female blogger’ and nominated for Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 Award.
- 2009: Launched my business!
- 2008: Co-founded ConnectionPoint and built the Facebook App FundRazr. FundRazr is now the Number 1 Fundraising Payments application on Facebook. Placed 6th in Women’s at the Ultimate Frisbee World Championships representing New Zealand.
- 2007: Smashed a World Record for Dragon Boating across the English Channel with the Sisterhood and won the gold medal at the World Beach Ultimate Championships in Brazil.
Facts about me you may not know:
I’ve traveled to 69 countries so far and my aim is to see half the world. In the last 12 months alone I’ve visited 4 continents, 18 countries and 25 different cities (several more than once).
I fancy myself as a bit of a pool shark, and table tennis too and have an odd penchant for picking guys up in bars (no, literally picking them up off their feet – especially the taller and heavier). It’s a rugby lift thing.
I have New Zealand and United Kingdom passport and Canadian Permanent residency. Last year I was told I was officially a fiscal nomad – love that title.
I entered Burma illegally in 2006 and got chased out by a crazy man with a gun.
I almost got arrested in Sydney when I told security that he didn’t need to check my bag for explosives because they were strapped to my chest (yes I know, stupid joke to make).
Make sure you:
- Head to the Start Here page to check out my most popular articles
- Learn more about my No #1 Bestselling Suitcase Entrepreneur book
- Listen to my Award Nominated kick-ass Podcast Interviews with expert entrepreneurs
- Watch my weekly business and lifestyle video series for tips on being a suitcase entrepreneur
- The Kick Ass Online Tools you can use to run your business from anywhere and the travel tools that make your life easier.