Why Creating Change Can Feel So Hard (and what to do about it)
This story is one of several being published over the next 100 days to celebrate the $100 Change program and inspire you to take action.
Most people would like something to change in their life and business. Yet a lot of people find creating change a struggle.
Why is that? Why can we want a particular change so bad but get stuck with making it happen?
Well, the reasons can be many, complex and vary from person to person.
But common factors are:
Change triggers fears. It feels uncomfortable. It creates uncertainty. It involves risk. It takes you outside your comfort zone.
When you feel like that, the inner voice of doom kicks in with things like:
What if it doesn’t work? What if people don’t like it? What if I am not good enough? What if I make a fool of myself?
Your inner voice is screaming at you to stay in the comfort zone.
But change happens outside the comfort zone. You have to embrace that or the change game is up before you even start.
If this resonates for you, you are not alone. I spent years trying to change all sorts of things in my life from my comfort zone. It doesn’t work!
You have to be willing to deal with fear and feelings of discomfort to navigate the path of change.
But where do you start when you feel stuck?
- Start by making a decision. Decide that you will deal with the fears and change stoppers that keep you stuck. Don’t get put off by the “I don’t know how” voice screaming in your head. Commit to finding a way.
- Get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable. Embrace uncertainty. Accept these things as part of the dynamics of change.
- Get clear on what is driving your fears. Learn how to manage them. Look for what you can put in place to make it feel safe for you to move forward.
Worried about the risks involved? Then think about this:
What will happen if you DON’T take that risk? What will happen if you don’t find a way to make change happen?
Sometimes it is more of a risk to settle for the status quo than deal with the fears and discomfort of change.
Because if you aren’t willing to take a risk, you are risking never having the life and business you really want. And that is a hell of a risk to take with your one and only life.
You get what you focus on – so stop focusing on everything that could go wrong. Put things in place to manage the risks. Keep focused on the benefits and results that change will deliver that make it all worthwhile.
The rewards and benefits of dealing with your change stoppers are massive.
Here are a couple of mine:
- In 2001 I escaped the corporate world to follow my dream of being Self Employed. At the time it was a very scary leap. But the result was freedom to live and work on my own terms – priceless.
- Me and my family emigrated from the UK to Ireland in 2006. Now we are about to move to Vancouver, Canada to live. The reward for navigating the uncertainty and discomfort of change is living the ideal life we have designed – priceless.
These things would never have been possible without being willing to deal with fear, uncertainty and the uncomfortable feelings that come with stepping outside your comfort zone.
Over the years, I have learnt that the pain of settling for what you don’t want is more than the pain of creating change. Because the pain of staying stuck is endless. The pain of the change process is temporary.
So, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get out there and frighten the pants off yourself on a regular basis.
Embrace the discomfort of stepping outside your comfort zone as it will lead you to the life and business you really want for yourself.
About the author:
Ali Davies specialises in helping Small Business Owners and Self Employed Professionals create personal and business change to achieve their most important goals in life and business. You can find out more about Ali and her work at www.alidavies.com
It is time you stepped up to create your own change. Join the $100 Change Program today and have a chance to win one of 10 scholarships worth over $500 each to put towards your dream project or initiative. Applications from 20 November.
$100 Change is a digitally delivered eCourse designed to ensure you start your dream project or amp up your existing business. Join right now.
In the comments below tell us how are you going to get out there and frighten the pants off yourself today??