Did you know that while 90% of us want to write a book, the truth is that only a small percentage of us ever will.
Fortunately, that’s changing right before our very eyes. You see, it’s now easier than ever to write and publish your own book.
In this podcast episode, I decided to get personal with you, to show you why you no longer have to be beholden to the traditional publishing route to ensure your message gets shared with the world (or even just your friends and family).
I’ve also brought in a special guest, Pam Brossman, to show you how to become an Amazon best selling author in less than 8 weeks.
The New Breed of Amazon Best Selling Authors
There’s literally nothing stopping you from writing a best selling book, making more money and achieving more notoriety and success with self publishing and digital books, than those published authors who hit the NY Times Best Seller list.
I’ve done a LOT of research over the last 6-12 months on what it takes to write a book that will impact people’s lives and be one that’s talked about for many years to come.
I’ve had several discussions with friends who’ve published their own books and those who received book contracts from major publishing houses (thanks Jenny Blake, Kent Healy, Seth Godin, David Siteman Garland, Chris Guillebeau, Marianne Cantwell and Jaime Tardy).
As Seth Godin states:
“Traditional publishing: “Be famous, build a platform, organize a tribe, then we’ll publish your non-fiction book.”
Self publishing, particularly long-tail digital self-publishing: “Write a book, codify a manifesto, put it into the world and use it attract, organize and build a platform.
When the cost of showing up goes down (so the real cost is intellectual, not cash) it’s easier than ever to use a book to make an impact.”
I’ve looked and dissected all the pros and cons, and my personal decision is that you can indeed publish a world-class book yourself, without the help of a traditional publishing path that is archaic and endangered.
What You’ll Learn in this Suitcase Entrepreneur Podcast Episode
- How traditional publishing works, including typical advances like why a major publisher approached me and then turned down my book proposal
- The benefits of self publishing and the tools you need to do it, with big ups to Guy Kawasaki and APE
- How Sean Platt (considered THE expert on Amazon publishing) switched from selling higher priced digital eBooks to publishing on Amazon for less and making more money
- How Danny Iny self-published his book with 30 amazing contributors in just 6 months, gave it away for free and gained 25,000 new email subscribers while still selling 5,000 copies
- How Pam Brossman shifted from social media maven to video guru to digital publishing goddess
- The top 3 advantages to self publishing and why digital publishing is the hottest trend for increasing your credibility and star power
- How Pam got 22,000 downloads in 3 days for her 2 books on Amazon
- Pam’s top tips to get your book written in 4 weeks or less
- How I got featured in three books that all took completely different types of publishing methods.
- Why I’m self publishing my book and running a Kickstarter campaign (yes, please do support) to cover the costs, but also gain a platform and buzz in advance
Even better, click here to pick up my completely free book on `How to Start a Podcast that Matters’ by leaving a short review on my podcast.
Share this on social media in one click
@pambrossman shows you How to Become an Amazon Best Selling Author in Less than 8 Weeks via @suitcasepreneur https://bit.ly/1haY5z3
Books Mentioned in this Episode:
- Engagement from Scratch!: How Super-Community Builders Create a Loyal Audience and How You Can Do the Same!
- The Thought That Changed My Life Forever: How One Inspiration Can Unleash Your True Potential and Transform the World
- Micro Domination: How to leverage social media and content marketing to build a mini empire around your brand
- APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book
Tools to Use for Self Publishing:
- Createspace provides free tools to help you self-publish and distribute your books, DVDs, CDs, video downloads and MP3s on-demand on Amazon.com
- HostBaby for Authors offers writers everything you’ll need to share, sell, and promote your books online.
- BookBaby – turns your electronic files into a finished eBook available for sale at the world’s largest retail sites.
Connect with Pam and Natalie
PS. My Kickstarter was 121% published! Watch this video series on how I did it and how you can do it, too.