Peter Shankman, founder of the valuable, simple and painless press service Help a Reporter Out (HARO), believes adamantly in two ideas.
1.) Life should be fun, so work should be fun.
2.) Give back to people because you care about them.
The latter belief is the foundation for HARO’s success, a company that he ended up selling for millions of dollars in 2010, and more importantly, connects those who want to share value with a wider audience with those who get paid to share stories, aka journalists.
In my experience, online business owners tend to ignore public relations, partly because they don’t know where the heck to start and partly because the value isn’t immediately apparent.
But for the sake of your brand, I beg of you, start taking it seriously.
That being said, scoop some time out of your day to listen to this episode so you can start creating a public relations strategy that works or so you can take the next immediate step toward being a media darling.
Not only that but Peter and I discuss how he’s used social media to build his personal brand and why customer service is important and a secret weapon for your business success.
Here is what you will learn in this podcast:
- Three actionable tips for getting quality press without a huge budget
- The secret behind getting consistent press that everyone knows but doesn’t use
- What really makes for a successful customer service strategy
- One huge problem with social media you need to avoid
- How Peter transitioned from a founder of a company to building a personal brand
- What you probably haven’t realized yet about building your personal brand
- Which three companies are brilliant at executing a valuable social media strategy
- Peter’s daily work ritual that supports his productivity + care for his audience
Even better pick up my completely free book on `How to Start a Podcast that Matters’ at suitcaseentrepreneur.com/free by leaving a short review on my podcast.
Share this on social media in one click
Having an audience is a privilege, not a right @petershankman via @suitcasepreneur http://bit.ly/1jm3jHE
Connect with Peter and Natalie
Key sites mentioned in this podcast:
- HARO – Help a Reporter Out
- Nice Companies Finish First: Why Cutthroat Management Is Over–and Collaboration Is In
- Can We Do That?! Outrageous PR Stunts That Work–And Why Your Company Needs Them
- Shankman – Peter Shankman’s main website
- News Jacking – how to position your brand within breaking stories
- NASA Twitter account
- Dunkin’ Donuts Twitter account
- United Airlines Twitter account
Inspired to start a new business or launch that idea? Then buy a new domain through Namecheap
Each time you get an idea, do you immediately go to buy that domain name so you can at least feel like you’ve done something proactive towards making it a reality? Yes I know the feeling and I have several apparently fantastic domain names I’ve not yet put to use yet – but my god they’re going to be brilliant when unleashed.
I’ve bought all of mine through Namecheap because they have some of the most affordable domain names around, as well as full-featured web hosting packages, secure SSL certificates, WhoisGuard domain name privacy, and so much more.
For a limited time, Namecheap is offering Suitcase Entrepreneur podcast listeners to get a .COM/.NET/.ORG domain plus private ad-free email for only $6.99!
Visit namecheap.com and use our exclusive coupon code – “SUITCASE” to redeem your offer.
In the comments below I’d love you to share:
- A) One tip you have for getting press for your business
- B) One burning question you still have about getting press for your business
Liked this session? Please let me and Peter know!
If you enjoyed this episode and have 3 seconds, please let me and Peter know on Twitter by clicking on the link below:
Leave me a voicemail!
Every once and a while, I’ll be recording podcast episodes based on precisely you want to know, so if you have any questions that you’d like potentially answered on the show, feel free to leave me a voicemail on my Speakpipe page!