Derek Sivers, founder of CDBaby and serial entrepreneur, could be the poster boy for reluctant entrepreneurship.
Even though he ended up selling CDBaby for 22 million dollars, he never planned on selling and never had ambitious thoughts about scaling it to the next level.
As he says: “I actively did not want this new thing I started called CDBaby to distract me from my real work, which was to make music.”
And for nearly his entire career as an entrepreneur, he has decided to do things his way on his own time, which displays his fierce need for personal freedom – a trait all of us freedom fighters hold near and dear.
But, as you might guess, the journey wasn’t as easy as it seems – like many entrepreneurial stories worth telling!
So listen in to this episode to start incorporating his hard learned business lessons – especially if you like bumping heads with the status quo.
Here is what you will learn in this podcast:
- How you can be a successful entrepreneur without taking the advice that you need to “dream big”
- What one lesson you need to learn when you start outsourcing
- The piece of advice that Seth Godin gave him when it came to selling his business CDBaby
- What you need to know about creating your business around your lifestyle
- How and why Derek constantly lives outside of his comfort zone
- Why you shouldn’t follow everyone’s advice on where you should live or how you should work
- One piece of advance that will motivate you to get your first product out there
Even better pick up my completely free book on `How to Start a Podcast that Matters’ at suitcaseentrepreneur.com/free by leaving a short review on my podcast.
Connect with Derek and Natalie
Share this on social media in one click
Money buys you freedom, but at a certain point, you have to decide which is the most important. @sivers https://bit.ly/1jftvbz
Say hi to Natalie on @suitcasepreneur
Key sites mentioned in this podcast:
- Derek Sivers – main site
- Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
- Vietnam 2014: New Information and Cultural Insights Entrepreneurs Need to Start a Business in Vietnam by Derek Sivers and Natalie Sisson
- Asia 2014: Comparing Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam
Liked this session? Please let me and Derek know!
If you enjoyed this episode and have 3 seconds, please let me and Derek know on Twitter by clicking on the link below:
Leave me a voicemail!
Every once and a while, I’ll be recording podcast episodes based on precisely you want to know, so if you have any questions that you’d like potentially answered on the show, feel free to leave me a voicemail on my Speakpipe page!
Ready to live life free? Upwork makes it easy to take your work with you!
A life of adventure and professional success are not mutually exclusive. Just ask any Digital Nomad! These are the new breed of professionals—those who have ditched the desk to pursue a life less ordinary, taking work with them as they go.
And that’s why I’m thrilled to be a part of Upwork’s new Digital Nomad video—an inspiring look at what life is like once you escape the office and work on your own terms. Upwork has been an integral part of my professional success, allowing me to find and hire the talented freelancers and virtual assistants I’ve used to build my business.
So check out yours truly in this chock full of awesome video featured on Upwork’s blog! You can also enter to win a Digital Nomad Survival Kit, complete with an iPad Mini. C’mon, kittens…you know you want to.