A warm welcome to the very first day of the Ten Day Social Media Challenge. The aim of this 10-day series of posts is to help you to use the power of social media to build your brand and business and act as your sales, marketing and customer service team!
By the end of 10 days you should have:
- Created a complete strategic plan of attack for using social media for your brand and business
- Learned and how to establish your credibility and build a loyal community,
- Developed an understanding and plan to generate more traffic, gain new leads and grow your customer base.
Make sure you check out this page for exactly what we will cover in the next 10 days or click on the image below to sign up to get daily email updates, join my Social Media Club for free and go in the draw to win some great prizes from Hootsuite, my partner in this challenge!
Episode 56 The Power of Social Media to Build Your Online Business with Rick Mulready
To kick off this challenge with a bang we’re going to launch right in with a fantastic podcast interview I did with Rick Mulready, social media strategist and host of the Inside Social Media Podcast.
This is episode we focus right in on why social media is so powerful and the key strategies you can implement to use it to grow your own brand and business.
Rick has interviewed huge brands like CITI, McDonalds, and Ford to figure out how small businesses can adapt their social media strategies without a huge budget or a team.
Before that, he worked in the Internet marketing space for 12 years with Fortune 500 brands and decided to switch over to social media once he realised the potential power it held for small businesses to grow their brands.
His philosophy? Let the big brands do what they can do with their big budgets, and let’s take what we can do from what they’re doing well and model it for our own businesses.
He understands that people are overwhelmed with social media and is adamant about reminding entrepreneurs that it doesn’t need to take three hours a day to make it effective.
So how can you use the limited time in your day to be as effective as possible on social media and eventually convert to sales?
Here is what you will learn in this podcast:
- Three social media strategies you can apply without a huge budget or team
- How to set goals for social media and how to work backwards to create a daily plan
- What type of posts work best on Facebook and Twitter
- How to organically build your Facebook and Twitter following while gaining market insight
- How to figure out when you should be posting on social media
- One key tip that will help your audience resonate with you that’s so easy to forget
- The real goal of social media posts and where each should direct
- How Rick got big brands like Ford, Coca Cola, and Jetblue on his podcast
Even better, pick up my completely free book on `How to Start a Podcast that Matters’ at suitcaseentrepreneur.com/free by leaving a short review on my podcast.
Connect with Rick Mulready and Natalie
Key sites mentioned in this podcast:
Day 1 Challenge to accept:
1. Write a blog post response to this question
What are three ways you can improve your current social media strategy today?
Top Tip: If you haven’t got one then right out your ideal strategy based on Rick’s and my tips in this interview. We will also cover it again near the end of this challenge for you to refer back to,
2. Share your blog post response and leave a comment to be in to win:
Share your blog post far and wide from your own blog using your own share buttons and the hashtag #SMC AND post a short description and the URL right here in the comments.
3. Embed the 10 Day Social Media Challenge badge in your blog post using this:
<a href=”https://suitcaseentrepreneur.com/socialmediachallenge”><img src=”https://suitcaseentrepreneur.com/wp-content/themes/suitcaseentrepreneur1/socialmedia/socialmediachallenge.jpg” alt=”Social media Challenge” /></a>
4.Click to tweet this: What’s your current social media strategy and is it working for you? #socialmedia #SMC
5. Join the Social Media Club for free where we share tips and strategies for using social media.
The key to a successful online business
I’d like to thank my podcast Sponsor LeadDyno – a tool designed specifically for online entrepreneurs who are setting up a formal referral program to grow their business. Here’s how it works:
- 1. When new affiliates sign up with you, they receive a unique referral link, so that they can send their friends and colleagues your way
- 2. When their referrals purchase your product, you provide them with a commission – which is automatically tracked, calculated, and paid by LeadDyno
The result is you get more business, without any up front cost.
The team at LeadDyno have kindly offered my listeners a free 14-day trial to start building your new affiliate program. Visit suitcaseentrepreneur.com/leaddyno now.
Summary of today’s responses
Claudia knows that many companies fail to connect with their audience because they are not in sync with their language and instead of telling stories, they are selling which is a no. She suggests 3 actions to take instead.
Megan’s current strategy is all about building content and remaining active on social media.
Darleen’s strategy is Be smart. Be of value when you do open your mouth. Have fun!
Michelle intends to use it consistently, as well as be more consistent with her message.