I am proud to call myself a Digital Nomad. But I didn’t go into my business thinking about becoming one, heck I didn’t even know what one was.
What does digital nomad mean anyway and what defines one? For me it’s somebody who can work from anywhere mainly online, from your laptop or smartphone.
We are in many ways fascinating and intriguing people, with a severe case of wanderlust and desire for independence and freedom. But it wasn’t until Andrew Lentz and Duyen Nguyen interviewed me for their digital nomad thesis, that I started to learn we have certain qualities and traits that are unique to us.
So I asked if it was ok to release the rapid fire interview we did where I reveal more about myself than normal and answer their key questions about being a digital nomad. I personally learned a lot especially when they shared the results from their interviews so far that made me realize I’m not alone in how I think, act and live.
Their thesis is called:
Community, Identity and Knowledge among Digital Nomad Entrepreneurs
Here’s their Thesis Abstract:
“Digital Nomad Entrepreneurs are on the move. On the move corporeally from whence they came, and towards where they are going, without a final destination in mind. As they start this journey they begin to reject the incompatible norms, practices, and beliefs previously accepted from their origins, and they in turn are rejected by society, leading to a search for belonging as they traverse the world.
This paper seeks to explore the communities, identities and knowledge of the digitally nomadic entrepreneurial community through semi-structured interviews with eight DNEs as exploration of their identities and emerging community as a whole serving as a springboard for further research.”
According to them, most people on their interview felt like outsiders where they grew up so they start to wander. I also learned that by their very transient nature, most digital nomads are single!
In this interview, you’ll learn more about me than ever before including what my strengths and weaknesses are, what makes me happy and even if I plan to get married someday.
If you would like to become one or would like an insight into the life of a digital nomad, then listen to this interview!
Listen to this episode
What you’ll learn in this podcast:
- Why I decided to become a digital nomad
- The most common qualities a digital nomad possesses
- Things that hold me back you might not have known
- How it feels to travel all the time
- What my family and friends think of my digital nomad lifestyle
- If I plan to stop working in the future
- Connect with Andrew and Duyen on Facebook
- 4 Crowdfunded Travel Tools for Digital Nomads
- Embracing the Barefoot Nomad Lifestyle and Building a Business and Blog On Your Own Terms
- How to Quit Your Cubicle Job and Get Paid to Be a Full Time Travel Blogger With Nomadic Matt
- How Jodi Ettenberg Dared To Become A Legal Nomad
- 3 Secrets Every Traveling Entrepreneur Should Know Before They Go
in iTunes by Janelle A Jones from USA
I have been listening to Natalie’s podcast for a year now and it is so informative. I have a page of notes every time I listen!