If you haven’t heard of Gary Vaynerchuk by now then where have you been?
The master of video blogging, Gary has single handedly built a $60 million dollar business by reinventing the rules on his own terms and working his ass off.
It’s clear that Gary is no ordinary guy, I’m not sure that he sleeps much and has more energy than an entire factory of Red Bull. So clearly much of his success can be attributed to his amazing work ethic and desire to live and breathe his passion for wines, marketing and business development 24/7.
His book `Crush It. Why now is the time to cash in on your passion’ is one of those super enjoyable books you can devour in less than two hours.
If you’re looking for an intellectual book on how to make money online through use of Social Media tools then don’t read this. If you’re looking to get jazzed up on his pure enthusiasm and ability to make something out of nothing then it’s a must.
What comes through most in this book is that you have to be prepared to hustle every single day, to engage, to respond and to treat your audience/ community/ customers like gold by ensuring they get your personal touch.
You have to believe and be constantly building your business. You can do so much of this using Social Media and I’ve summarized Gary’s key 12 steps to do this below.
I’ve also reviewed the book in this short and entertaining video which I decided to do unscripted and with just one take (taking a leaf out of Gary’s book – literally). Don’t judge! I did say I’d start doing more videos….
Gary Vaynerchuk’s 13 Steps to Crushing It!
- Buy a domain name – nuff said (try GoDaddy.com)
- Start a blog – use WordPress, Blogger or Tumblr
- Hire a web designer – I have to agree with Gary on this, it’s worth it if you’re serious, you can do this further down the track though
- Buy the tool for your business (Flipcam for Video Bloggers for example)
- Create a Facebook Page
- Create a Twitter account
- Sign up for Ping.fm – distributes your content to as many social networks as you have in one hit
- Start pumping out content – written, videos – whatever your poison is and make it personal. Be yourself.
- Get your content out there (Ping.fm or Twitter or TubeMogul). Just do it Here’s where I think Gary’s business development skills started coming through if you already have those basics down pat (bar content, creating it is not basic!)
- Use search.twitter.com to seek out people that may be interested in what you do, follow them and better yet @reply them to start a conversation. i.e if you’re a jeweller search terms to find someone like you! (I also highly recommend Twellow – the Yellow Pages of Twitter).
- Go to Blogsearch.Google.com and type in keywords for your business, then go and leave a comment on each of those sites plus your name. (Note this may sound time consuming but it’s super valuable to do)
- Do a Facebook search on say `Jeweller’ under all search results, then search pages and groups. Join several and start engaging.
- Rinse and Repeat. In my mind this is one of the hardest things to do consistently but so crucial.
Also check out my free eBook `The Social Media Workout for Entrepreneurs’ for even more tips. Just sign up for my newsletter top right. Here’s a lovely review from Julia:
The Entrepreneur’s Social Media Workout is amazing. It helps a busy working woman learn what to spend more energy on AND what every network is and the best way to use it!
Julia Porter, Glamour Gals
Have you read Crush It!: Why Now Is The Time To Cash In On Your Passion? If so what were your key takeaways or what have you learned from it that you implemented for your business?