Hello there fellow Freedom seeker! So you wanna know a little more about me? Well, I’m touched, and I trust you’re prepared for an adventure!
I’m Natalie Sisson and I like to call myself the Suitcase Entrepreneur because, since leaving New Zealand in 2006, I’ve travelled and explored the world (69 countries and counting), lived out of my suitcase and run an online business that allows me massive freedom while generating a multiple six-figure income in 2015 alone.
Basically, as you can see in the photo, I was destined to live out of a suitcase – both from a physical sense – I prefer to buy experiences over stuff, and a mental attitude of minimalism and a carefree attitude of no burdens.
Building a freedom-based life doesn’t always have to mean living constantly on the road though. It means grabbing the freedom to make choices that feed your soul.
Which is why in August 2015, I dropped everything I was doing in Portugal to come back home to Wellington, New Zealand to be with my family and my father who became ill.
I can’t tell you how thankful I was to have a freedom based business that allowed me to do that and spend quality time, especially with my father, before he passed away on December 1st.
Had I still been in a corporate job, I may not have had the leave or the money to be able to do this at all, and that’s when it really hit me how important it is to build a business or career that supports your ideal lifestyle, and why EVERYONE deserves the right to freedom.
I’m on a mission to help 1,000,000+ entrepreneurs create true freedom in life by 2020.
In the sections below I share my vision of my life’s work and tell you all about my past in the corporate world, how I started my business, how I actually make money and help thousands of entrepreneurs around the world, and I sprinkle in some quirky facts and claims to fame.
The Official Story:
My friends call me an adventurer (others use the word ‘nutter’) because I always aim to live life to the fullest. I’m a writer, author, public speaker, blogger and fun-loving, down-to-earth entrepreneur.
I’m ridiculously passionate about building amazing online businesses that you can take anywhere. Online marketing, social media and new tools and technologies are my life! Add to that my absolute love of travel and my addiction to Ultimate Frisbee, and you pretty much have the full picture on me.
It wasn’t always like this. For over eight years I worked my a** off in the corporate world in marketing, communications, brand and product management for some major and diverse companies in New Zealand, England and Canada. Yep… I had real jobs!
And I tried so many other different things as well; modeling and TV presenting, Moto-x racing, tennis, netball, triathlon, sailing… That’s the sort of person I am!
I’m a multi-faceted, multi-potentialite woman intent on changing my world and yours for the better. I love learning and passing on knowledge. I ‘heart’ entrepreneurship.
How My Journey Began:
In late 2009, I co-founded a cool tech company and discovered that there was a significant lack of women entrepreneurs and CEOs, especially in technology industries.
I thought it was a no-brainer to set up a platform to connect with and interview the amazing women entrepreneurs I came across on my journey. So, I started a blog to capture it all.
I knew deep-down that I had a message to share with the world and that I’d learn many lessons that could inspire others to pursue their own dreams and get them building business and living lives they loved.
Fast forward to April 2010 when I decided to take my overriding passion and turn it into a fully-fledged business.
In December, I became The Suitcase Entrepreneur! And I began my mission to help both men and women who wanted greater freedom in business and adventure in life.
How do I run my profitable mobile business?
To tell the truth, my business has been built by a whole lot of determination and hustle! It consists of nine major revenue streams that have grown organically out of my blog and subsequent brand building:
- My foundational program The Freedom Plan I designed to help people create their ideal freedom business.
- The Freedom Collective – the coolest online community of Freedom Fighters, entrepreneurs and freelancers wanting receiving support, group coaching and expert training.
- Compensation for recommending products, programs and tools I adore
- Podcast Sponsorship with awesome companies I am proud to align with
- My No #1 Bestselling Suitcase Entrepreneur book (with more to come)
- Paid speaking gigs around the world!
My Business and Lifestyle Vision
My life changed again in 2013 when I decided to publicly state my vision for my business and life – what I wanted to achieve in the next three years. I did this by making a ‘Painted Picture’ and I shared it on my blog and through Slideshare. Since then, over 60% has come true!
This initiative has had over 50,000 views to date and has been shared all around the world, for which I’m really honoured. It has directly helped people create their own and take action, for which I’m grateful.
In January 2015, I created my NEW vision for life and business along with my ‘grand plans’ to create the World’s first Global Freedom Study, and much more…
I’d be honoured if you read it now like over 28,000 others!:
How I add adventure to my life:
I’ve grown The Suitcase Entrepreneur into a thriving online community of thousands of men and women and lots of happy readers and customers.
Besides here, you can find my words of wisdom and features about me in Forbes where I’m a contributor, Under30CEO, Young Entrepreneur, The Huffington Post and many more.
But what I really live for is finding new adventures in life and making this whole journey one that builds a legacy I love and am proud of, like the following:
- 2015 started off the initial stage of my Right2Freedom movement which is my next big body of work
- 2014 received major press on Yahoo Finance, Daily Mail and the Sydney Herald to name a few, spoken around the world at various conferences and will visit 15 countries!
- 2013 came fourth with GB Women at the European Championships of Beach Ultimate in Spain, published The Suitcase Entrepreneur book to the world and had my Suitcase Entrepreneur Podcast nominated as the Top 10 in Business at the Podcast Awards.
- 2012 In March to May I cycled from Nairobi to Cape Town and over 6,000 km while raising over $12,600 for Women Win the process. Find out about this journey here!
- 2011: Was a contributor to Engagement from Scratch!: How Super-Community Builders Create a Loyal Audience and How You Can Do the Same!
Featured as one of the 17 Successful Business Women in the Premier Issue of Going Pro magazine alongside Pamela Slim, Alexis Neely and more.
- 2011: Named one of the 25 Most Influential Women Tweeting about Entrepreneurship, listed in 30 Women Advocates to Follow on Twitter, and named in the Top 10 Entrepreneurship & Innovation Influencers.
- 2010: Named a Successful and Outstanding Blogger by Liz Strauss and SOBCon, selected by Nike as an ‘outstanding female blogger’ and nominated for Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 Award.
- 2009: Launched my business!
- 2008: Co-founded ConnectionPoint and built the Facebook App FundRazr. FundRazr is now the Number 1 Fundraising Payments application on Facebook. Placed 6th in Women’s at the Ultimate Frisbee World Championships representing New Zealand.
- 2007: Smashed a World Record for Dragon Boating across the English Channel with the Sisterhood.
- 2007: Won the gold medal at the World Beach Ultimate Championships in Brazil.
- 2004: Became a Body Sculpting Champion and competed at Nationals.
Facts about me you may not know
I’ve traveled to 69 countries so far and my aim is to see half the world. In the last 12 months alone I’ve visited 4 continents, 18 countries and 25 different cities (several more than once).
I fancy myself as a bit of a pool shark, and table tennis too and have an odd penchant for picking guys up in bars (no, literally picking them up off their feet – especially the taller and heavier). It’s a rugby lift thing….
I have New Zealand and United Kingdom passport and Canadian Permanent residency and I have bank accounts in four different countries. This year I was told I was officially a fiscal nomad – love that title.
I entered Burma illegally in 2006 and got chased out by a crazy man with a gun….
I almost got arrested in Sydney when I told security that he didn’t need to check my bag for explosives because they were strapped to my chest (yes I know stupid joke to make).
More to come….
Make sure you:
- Head to the Start Here page to check out my most popular articles
- Learn more about my No #1 Bestselling Suitcase Entrepreneur book
- Listen to my Award Nominated kick-ass Podcast Interviews with expert entrepreneurs
- Watch my weekly business and lifestyle video series for tips on being a suitcase entrepreneur
- The Kick Ass Online Tools you can use to run your business from anywhere and the travel tools that make your life easier.